Hello fellow boomers. My name is Jim Jensen and I too am a baby boomer, and proud of it. I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area and now live in San Mateo on the peninsula. I came of age in the 1960’s here and loved it. I have always been a dreamer and have been self-employed for much of my life. I’ve been a photographer, a QA engineer and, over the last 10 years, have owned my own adaptive fitness business, Fit for Life.
My mission statement is simple:
To enable everyone to enjoy life to their fullest potential, regardless of their challenges.
Over the last 10 years I’ve done one-on-one training with many people dealing with a wide array of physical challenges. I’ve worked with people from 8 to 100 years old and I strive to stay abreast of the latest research and trends in health and fitness.
I’ve lived with my partner and the love of my life, Effie, for over 15 years. I’m the luckiest guy in the world to have found her. I have 2 incredible daughters, along with 2 world-class son-in-laws. Last year we welcomed to the planet our brand new grand-daughter, Ravenna. Effie and I also have 2 great Dogs supplying us with more love than we can handle. I am truly blessed.
Spiritually, I believe that there is an intelligent connection with everything throughout the universe. I don’t align with in any of the mainstream flavors of religions but I do believe that my “spirit” will exist after my body cashes in its chips. My personal spiritual practice includes meditation, gratitude, affirmations, dog slurps, and of course, IPAs.
My hobbies include hanging out with family and friends, cooking, photography, home-improvement projects, bird-watching, hiking, brewing ales, exercise, music, writing, electronic geekery, and listening to podcasts.
• Owner/Founder of Fit for Life, specializing in the physical training of clients with special physical challenges since 2005
• 9 years, full-time experience working with clients challenged with chronic conditions including multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, Osteoporosis, spinal injuries, arthritis and Parkinson’s disease
• Developed protocol designed to safely develop strength, balance and stability for clients experiencing difficulty with balance and walking
• Associate of Arts Degree in adaptive fitness program developed by Dr. Karl Knopf at Foothill College
• Certified Personal Trainer with the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
• Advanced certification as a Corrective Exercise Specialist with (NASM)
• IDEA member – International Professional Fitness Organization
• Current certification by The American Red Cross in Adult CPR/AED
Fun facts about me:
- I can make my eyeballs quickly wiggle back and forth
- I used to have a lot of snakes and lizards as pets
- I was in a band with Neil Schon, the lead guitarist with Journey
- I took guitar lessons from Don Irving, of The Beau Brummels
- I saw Stan Musial play baseball at Candlestick Park
- I saw the Day On The Green #2 & 3: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, The Band, Joe Walsh, Jesse Colin Young (July 13, 1974)
- In 1967 I saw The Doors in concert at Winterland, San Francisco
- I saw The Buffalo Springfield at The Santa Clara County Fairgrounds on March 30th, 1969.
- One of my first jobs ever was a door-to-door salesman for Fuller Brush Company…would you care for a free household gift?
- I used to sell copier machines for 3M Company
I really appreciate you taking the time to visit The Essential Boomer and I hope that you like listening to my podcast. Don’t be shy about leaving comments or questions. I’d love to hear from you.